HOW TO MAKE AN INSECT HOTEL
You will need:
- small logs or untreated timber, a minimum of 10cm in length. The size of your timber will affect the overall size of your bug hotel!
- hollow plant stems, like bamboo canes
- twigs and sticks, or even things like pine cones
Ask an adult to help with tools:
- wood saw
- nails and hammer OR a screwdriver and wood screws
- drill and 5mm wood drill bit
What to do
- make a wooden frame, fixing the wood with screws or nails
- fill the frame with your stems, twigs, sticks or cones
- fix a wire loop to the back of the frame a hang somewhere sheltered
For a more simple design, tie your bundle of stems and twigs with string and pop in a sheltered spot such as a hedge.
You insect hotel will create vital habitat for all sorts of species to shelter and nest - from solitary bees, to spiders and woodlice!